Monday 20 May 2013

When Desires Overtake Needs



I love the fact that in this modern digital age, everything is possible with just a click of a cursor. It makes shopping a LOT easier and being the meek me, I fall for things veryyyyy easily. Especially when I found stores that sell CHEAP stuff! Come on maaaan how can I say no to an RM5 moustache ring??

Things even get crazier with Instagram. Everytime I log into my IG account, there comes photos of pretty sweaters, tops, handbags urghhhh why do I even follow those stores asdfghjkl! Few moments later, I'd find myself transferring money from one account to another -___-

However, there are things that I buy without any thoughtful consideration where some clothes end up not suitable for me which often leads to a pile of unused stuff at a corner in my room. Seeing this, I know that it is unwise of me to spend all my (parents') money on worthless purchase. I know that this sickness (lolwhut) needs to stop but I just don't know where to start.    

So the other day when I was browsing through NY Times, I stumbled upon this wonderful article written by the founder of TreeHugger.com, Graham Hill on how he manages to escape from extreme consumerism.  

He explains how he became rich, how he managed to get everything he wanted but still found himself unhappy, and how he finally left his "unnecessarily complicated" life. Read more here. It's worth the read, trust me.


"I have less — and enjoy more.
My space is small. My life is big."

(Graham Hill, 2013).

No comments:

Post a Comment